XServer memory usage: xrestop

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Tue Dec 30 12:20:39 GMT 2003

Am Monday 29 December 2003 15:34 schrieb Rolf Magnus:
> On Monday 29 December 2003 12:38, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > KDE apps in general seem to use a lot of graphic contexts and a lot of
> > "wins". Is this a actually a problem ?
> > If yes, how can this be improved ? Or is it all deep inside Qt ?
> > konqy uses some of pixmap memory, xmms uses much more, OOo writer seems
> > to use less. I guess the pixmap memory s used for the icons ?
>
> I am wondering how much memory could be saved by loading common icons and
I am wondering too, but I doubt it would be too much. How many common icons
are there really if you haven't exactly 10 konqueror instances? 10-20? So you
save 32x32x3x10-20 = ~60K - I mean, it was a lot for a C64, but today? :)

For startup time it would help more if you have unique keys and a pixmap
server to give it you in a go as the pixmap server could also preload pixmaps
that are used in every KDE startup. And it could cache them as one huge pixmap
on hard disc so he only needs one PNG->QImage transaction and then can split
them in several server pixmaps. I'm just not sure if you want D* for that or
something fancy XAtomy :)

Greetings, Stephan

--
"SCO doesn't have enough understanding of the case to be able
to lie convincingly. Indeed they have so little understanding