problems with "init_khtmlimagepart" on FreeBSD

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sun Dec 21 16:51:35 GMT 2003

On Sunday 21 December 2003 17:42, Andy Fawcett wrote:
> We've had similar missing symbols in init_* code before, once in the
> Kopete MSN plugin, and once somewhere in kdelibs (and I can't recall
> where exactly). I think it's usually fixed with some dummy.c/cpp magic,
> but it is beyond my skills.

Well, the basic problem is that under Linux you can have a libfoo.so in
$KDEDIR/lib and a foo.so in $KDEDIR/lib/kde3, the latter being modules rather
than shared libs like plugins, kparts and similar objects.

Under many other platforms _ALL_ shared objects get the 'lib' prefix, leaving
you with two libfoo.so files in different locations. And to make the disaster
complete the wrong one is often picked up.

The solution is to NEVER have both a foo.so and a libfoo.so. (This means that
we should rename libkopete before we can make Kopete a kdeinit app btw ;-)

What does

   find $KDEDIR -name '*khtmlimagepart*'

return for you?

--