KAutoConfigDialog & Usibility

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Tue Aug 26 08:22:04 BST 2003

Hi Ben,

you already heard from me about this :-) but I say it again so that everybody
knows what I think about it.

I think KAutoConfigDialog should provide only one page. As soon as you want to
do a dialog with more pages use KConfigureDialog (even better: use it for
every cfg dlg). It will automatically choose an IconList or a TreeList
depending on the pages it has to combine (you can specify the hierarchy in
the .desktop files of the pages). For example you need to have a TreeList in
Kontact while a simple app with 2 pages in the dialog looks stupid if it
isn't using an IconList.

When I say "page" I always think about a call to KDialogBase::addPage(). It
would be nice if KAutoConfigDialog (which I would rather call KAutoConfigPage
then) would provide KCMs (probably by making KAutoConfigPage inheriting from
KCModule). These can then easily be used in the KConfigureDialog.

PS: Don't complain about the extra work ;-) I told you before you started
KAutoConfigDialog that I'm working on a cfg dlg and that we should coordinate
our work...

--
C'ya
        Matthias