Reason for -no-stl in qt-copy configure recommendation?

Marc Mutz Marc.Mutz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Apr 30 19:19:57 BST 2003

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 18:03, Dirk Mueller wrote:
<snip>
> Right. And they just magically integrate with QTL, with no overhead
> at all.
>
> Nice. If it would be true.
>
> The copy constructors and assignment operator implementations I read
> always made a deep copy of the STL based container and constructed a
> QTL equivalent. Sounds like a clever and performant implementation
> for KDE.
<snip>

How often do I have to repeat it until it's clear? It about the
       .__                       .__  __  .__
_____  |  |    ____   ___________|__|/  |_|  |__   _____   ______
\__  \ |  |   / ___\ /  _ \_  __ \  \   __\  |  \ /     \ /  ___/
 / __ \|  |__/ /_/  >  <_> )  | \/  ||  | |   Y  \  Y Y  \\___ \
(____  /____/\___  / \____/|__|  |__||__| |___|  /__|_|  /____  >
     \/     /_____/                            \/      \/     \/

Thsoe are templates, they work with the Qt containers out of the box,
but not if Qt is compiled with -no-stl.

It's not about whether or not STL containers should be used in favour of
Qt ones. That's nothing -stl/-no-stl has any influence on.

It's not about copy-constructing Qt containers from STL ones. People can
always use qCopy for that anyway. That's nothing -stl/-no-stl has any
influence on.

It's _only_ about being able to use STL algorithms on Qt conatiners.
That's something -stl/-no-stl has influence on.

Is this now _finally_ clear? Fine. If not, re-read this mail until it
is.

Marc

--
It is truly ironic that the United States, once the beacon for
promoting the principles of freedom of expression, is now