STL (was: Re: kdebase/kioslave/smtp)

Marc Mutz mutz at kde.org
Mon Apr 28 14:38:25 BST 2003

[should have gone to kde-core-devel]

On Friday 25 April 2003 15:57, Dirk Mueller wrote:
<snip>
> but there gotta be a better reason for
> mixing Qtl and STL than this tiny problem you introduced here.
<snip>

Well, I didn't encounter the non-STL-compatibility of Qt-no-stl
containers for the first time, you know.

I agree that you can live very well w/o STL algorithms in this
particular case. You can live without STL algorithms in a myriad of
cases. Taken together, though, each one adds it's share of wasted
developer's time, reduced readability and developer productivity.

Rewrite KMail's KMMainWindow::removeDuplicates() with vector<int> and
STL algorithms and you'll see another example for where the STL would
be nice.

I still don't see why -stl is such a big "requirement". It's on by
default anyway. KDE compiles fine with it being on and Qt-stl is BC
w.r.t. Qt-no-stl.

What _exactly_ is the reason for disallowing STL use in KDE? Don't tell
me it's b/c people would need to recompile their Qt. They do it all the
time and those tracking HEAD CVS won't even notice an additional Qt
compile in between the KDE recompile that's constantly necessary as
functionality is moved from modules to kdelibs.

Neither the KDE 3.{0,1} nor the KDE 3.2 RDs oppose an -stl requirement
on Qt, so why isn't it imposed? Else: Why isn't -DQT_NO_STL added to
configure.in.in's?

Marc

--
It is truly ironic that the United States, once the beacon for
promoting the principles of freedom of expression, is now