form autocompletion behaviour

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Fri Apr 25 03:39:16 BST 2003

On Thursday 24 April 2003 11:34, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Thursday 24 April 2003 16:12, David Faure wrote:
> > It never occured to me that I could use tab to go
> > into the completion popup. It's a popup, it's under the lineedit, I could
> > only think of Key_Down to go into it.
>
> IMHO it's not so unintuitive -- Tab gives focus to the next widget, which
> would be the popup, no?
>
> > I just tried <tab>, and it's kind of "cool", and iIf one wants to move to
> > the next widget, it's only a matter of pressing Esc before pressing Tab.
>
> Exactly.
>
> > *But* the whole point of the popup completion is that it's unintrusive,
> > isn't it? In that case, Tab should work as if the popup wasn't there.
>
> Well, given that you never noticed the Tab-behavior, it can't be that
> intrusive, right?

This has been my argument from the beginning. The only widget I can think of
that resembles the popup completion box is the combobox widget. If the list
of the combobox is visible, pressing the TAB key does exactly NOTHING until
you dismiss it by pressing the ESC key or selecting something. Only then can
you press TAB to change focus. I have no idea why people feel that it should
be any different in the popup completion widget.

Perhaps for consistency sake we should revert the popup completion's behavior
and simply consume the TAB key event just like the combobox.

Regards,
Dawit A.