Reason for -no-stl in qt-copy configure recommendation?

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Apr 24 13:56:22 BST 2003

On Wednesday 23 April 2003 06:11, Marc Mutz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> What's the reason for having -no-stl in the recommended configure line
> for Qt?
>
> It's breaking STL algorithms acting on Qt container classes (some
> typedefs are omitted if QT_NO_STL is in effect).
>
> Since the QTL is rather limited (I'm currently needing unique()), I'd
> really love to use the STL algorithms on Qt containers.
>
> Since we already use STL containers (e.g. in arts IIRC), the STL itself
> shouldn't be a problem, should it?

  Arts does a lot of things that I wouldn't do in KDE.

> Can we change the recommendation -no-stl to -stl for HEAD/3.2 then,
> please?

  I don't think this is a good idea.  I foresee much more STL use as opposed
to Qt use, for one.  We'll be fragmenting our use of containers.  If it's
available to developers, I'm sure they'll use it instead.  It just adds
mostly unnecessary code to Qt too.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer					http://www.kde.org/