Removal of KEdit

David Leimbach leimy2k at mac.com
Sat Apr 19 16:08:27 BST 2003

> Noatun vs. Juk was about different apps for different userbases, but
> beside
> that KWrite has no bidi support (and until it gets that KEdit or an
> other
> QTextEdit based editor must stay) KWrite and KEdit are just equivalent
> in the
> base features. KEdit has no reason to stay beside it's bidi support.
> For
> convenience kedit could be a link to kwrite, to be backward compatible
> apps starting kedit as editor (and we would need to adjust some
> command line
> options for kwrite I guess, not sure, have not installed kdeutils atm).

Seems like it might be possible, somewhere, sometime down the road to
clobber all 3 text editors
just enough to get the unified feature set of all of them into one
great text editor.  I remember bidi being a problem
in Kate way back when I first got my KDE commit bit.    If we haven't
found an easy solution yet it may be that
the design of Kate is just such that it may have hit a wall in terms of
design.  No offense intended to anyone
involved with Kate... its a killer application in my book :).  Its just
that I want to see it be the only editor KDE users need to have.

Its pretty clear until something like that happens that KEdit must stay
for bidi functionality.  We can't alienate that
group of people who may use KDE who need it.

Dave