Broken kio_smtp

Marc Mutz Marc.Mutz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Apr 10 14:16:43 BST 2003

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 18:32, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> marc has been making very large changes to kio_smtp in the last few
> days. i'll forward this msg on to the kmail devel list where it can
> reach the greatest audience of people interested in kde's smtp
> development =)
>
> On Wednesday 09 April 2003 07:30, Andras Mantia wrote:
> >  With today's head SMTP connenctions are not working. :-( I had to
> > switch back to an older kio_smtp. The error I got from KMail is:
> > Your SMTP server doesn't support PLAIN.
> > Choose a different authentication method.
> > The server responded: "Error: command not implemented"
> > The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix
> > the problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the
> > 'outbox' folder. Note: Other messages will also be blocked by this
> > message, as long as it is in the 'outbox' folder
> >
> > Of course, nothing has changed on server side. (nor in my kmail
> > config).
<snip>

What server is that?
Can up update and try again?
Can you send me the debug output after you've uncommented the
  kdDebug(7112) << "S: " ...
  kdDebug(7112) << "C: " ...
lines (and removing <glibberish> in any AUTH PLAIN <glibberish>
command?)

PLAIN works here after STARTTLS or with SSL over mail.epost.de and
max.kde.org. The only guess I can give is that your server reports
broken capability lines (AUTH=PLAIN instead of AUTH PLAIN). Is that so?

Thanks,
Marc

--
If you read this Mail while moving in traffic, you could hit
lantern stakes or end up knocked over by trucks.