K menu problems

Andras Mantia amantia at freemail.hu
Sun Apr 6 17:44:52 BST 2003

On 2003. April 06., Sunday 16:37, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Sunday 06 April 2003 08:48, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > 1. First, the menu order is wrong. After removing the local and global
> > applnk directories and reinstalling the menus from the packages, I have
> > the following order:
>
> Remarkable, I was under the impression that these menus where sorted
> alphabetically.

But it fails here.

> > 2. PIM has Address Book and LDAP Lookup, but Kontact and KOrganizer are
> > in Applications. Shouldn't all of this be in the same place? Maybe KMail
> > also belongs there.
>
> Everything that gets installed in Applications is a bug.
Ok, so this is a bug in the KOrganizer and Kontact. They should go under PIM,
i believe.

> > 3. I cannot remove the Settings-Modules. It is completely redundant, as I
> > can also access with the Preferences menu.
>
> The Settings-Modules menu is supposed to be provided by
> kde-settings.directory and is supposed to contain a "NoDisplay=true".
I have it in /opt/kde3/share/desktop-directories and it has "NoDisplay=true".
But I also have a /opt/kde3/share/applnk/Settings and it contains the
*.desktop files for control center items. And this was installed when I did a
make install after removing the applnk directory.
I only have the directory structure without the *.desktop files in the
$KDEHOME. But as I said, I also removed the local applnk before reporting,
and now this is there.

> Can you check if that's the case? Can you also check if you have any
> share/applnk/Settings/.directory files around?
Right now I have only one in
/opt/kde3/share/applnk/Settings/CDBakeOven/.directory, but it was installed
only recently, after I reported the bug. If I remove the Settings menu in the
Menu Editor, the .directory is created in the local applnk/Settings
directory, and it has:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=
NoDisplay=true

The Settings-Module has disappeared, but I have two Settings menu now, one
containing the control center items, and one is the old Settings menu with 3
items (Configure Panel, Print Manager, Control Center).

Andras

> Cheers,
> Waldo

- --