kdesu/DCOP problem?

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Nov 29 09:43:50 GMT 2002

On Friday 29 November 2002 01:18, George Staikos wrote:
>    I have been investigating some strange behaviour with kdesu and I've
> discovered this.
>
> kdesu --nonewdcop konsole
>
> now try to access the new konsole session konsole-nnnnn via dcop.  It will
> fail:
>
> # dcop konsole-25411
> Application 'konsole-25411' not accessible

This is intended behaviour. A root application can connect to the user's
dcopserver (if it has proper credentials) but the user will not be able to
make calls to the root application.

> Apps not started via dcop still work.

Please elaborate.

> Try to launch a new app inside the konsole:
>
> _IceTransOpen: Unable to Parse address none
> Session management error: Could not open network socket
>
> This is rather unfortunate.  Is this supposed to work?

Session management is not supposed to work for applications running with a
different uid (the session manager wouldn't be able to restart them) but the
application should still work otherwise.

Cheers,
Waldo