Common icon names (Was: Common icon themes)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sat Nov 23 15:06:33 GMT 2002

On Saturday 23 November 2002 14:28, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> Well, prefixing icon names doesn't look like very good idea to me.
> Just imagine, we would have:
>   kde-mail-reply.png
> and
>   gnome-mail-reply.png
> which may look like different (in icon theme), and those icons would be
> different to the user.  This would create a lot of confusion.
> May be, we just should try to come out with standard icon names?..

Yes, once the both sides agree what the *-mail-reply.png icon should represent
(shouldn't be too hard in this case) you can standardize on
xdg-mail-reply.png

The sooner that happens the better, but the icons that aren't standardized
(yet) should use a kde- or gnome- (or appname-) prefix.

Cheers,
Waldo