Fwd: Annoying doubleclicks

Chris Howells chris at chrishowells.co.uk
Fri Nov 22 00:07:33 GMT 2002

- ----------  Forwarded Message  ----------

Subject: Annoying doubleclicks
Date: Thursday 21 November 2002 11:55 pm
From: Uno Engborg <uno at webworks.se>
To: kde-usability at mail.kde.org

In KDE 3.1RC3 there is some annoying things when using double click mode.

1)  When manageing files in konqueror, the Navigator Panel requres you to
double click on a folder to view its contents in the main window.
In my oppinion this should be done by single click regardless of mouse click
mode, like it was in previous versions of KDE

2) The tree-view in kcontrol should also only need single clicks to navigate
between the various control panels.

I have previously complained that the behaviour of the trees in kcontrol and
konquerer Navigator Panel was inconsistent.  And hoped for a change to single
clicks only in both of them.  But now both seams to take double clicks.
Is this intentional?

I think double click in KDE is mostly used by people used to it from other
platforms like windows, and I think it would be a good idea if we tried to
behave in the same way if the user have chosen to  use double clicks.

If this is a bugs (they should be) here is how to fix them:
(Sorry that I haven't bin able fix them in time for the release, as I had to
brush up my C++ first:-))

To fix the  kcontrol problem, change moduletreeview.cpp:

diff -c kcontrol.old/moduletreeview.cpp kcontrol/moduletreeview.cpp
*** kcontrol.old/moduletreeview.cpp     2002-11-22 00:03:20.000000000 +0100
- --- kcontrol/moduletreeview.cpp 2002-11-21 23:35:09.000000000 +0100
***************
*** 72,79 ****
    header()->hide();

    new ModuleTreeWhatsThis( this );
!
!   connect(this, SIGNAL(executed(QListViewItem*)),
                    this, SLOT(slotItemSelected(QListViewItem*)));
  }

- --- 72,80 ----
    header()->hide();

    new ModuleTreeWhatsThis( this );
!   //No point in double clicking here even if in double click mode
!   //Changed SIGNAL from executed to clicked
!   connect(this, SIGNAL(clicked(QListViewItem*)),
                    this, SLOT(slotItemSelected(QListViewItem*)));
  }

And to fix the filemanager problem:

# diff -cr konqueror.old/ konqueror
diff -cr konqueror.old/sidebar/trees/konq_sidebartree.cpp
konqueror/sidebar/trees/konq_sidebartree.cpp
*** konqueror.old/sidebar/trees/konq_sidebartree.cpp    2002-11-22
00:16:14.000000000 +0100
- --- konqueror/sidebar/trees/konq_sidebartree.cpp        2002-11-22
00:32:59.000000000 +0100
***************
*** 104,111 ****
      m_autoOpenTimer = new QTimer( this );
      connect( m_autoOpenTimer, SIGNAL( timeout() ),
               this, SLOT( slotAutoOpenFolder() ) );
!
!     connect( this, SIGNAL( doubleClicked( QListViewItem * ) ),
               this, SLOT( slotDoubleClicked( QListViewItem * ) ) );
      connect( this, SIGNAL( mouseButtonPressed(int, QListViewItem*, const
QPoint&, int)),
               this, SLOT( slotMouseButtonPressed(int, QListViewItem*, const
QPoint&, int)) );
- --- 104,111 ----
      m_autoOpenTimer = new QTimer( this );
      connect( m_autoOpenTimer, SIGNAL( timeout() ),
               this, SLOT( slotAutoOpenFolder() ) );
! //This should always act on signle click, regardless of mousclick mode
!     connect( this, SIGNAL( clicked( QListViewItem * ) ),
               this, SLOT( slotDoubleClicked( QListViewItem * ) ) );
      connect( this, SIGNAL( mouseButtonPressed(int, QListViewItem*, const
QPoint&, int)),
               this, SLOT( slotMouseButtonPressed(int, QListViewItem*, const
QPoint&, int)) );

If this is supposed to be bugs could somebody please add this in so that it
 at least will be part of the next release This is a showstopper.

Regards
Uno Engborg