Release Criteria

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Nov 15 12:01:34 GMT 2002

On Friday 15 November 2002 06:32, George Staikos wrote:
> On November 14, 2002 16:02, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:

> > > Unless someone else has something ready: I have an idea and was going
> > > to come up with a proof-of-concept implementation anyway. Might require
> > > some am_edit or unsermake support to be practical.
> >
> > i have been olaying arround with nm and ldd but so far have nothing
> > reliable. The big problem is we need to have a binary linked against an
> > older kdelibs, and for the sake of portabilty i dont know how to do this?
>
>   We could just record the symbols and other information in a big data file
> after each release and use that for comparison, right?

 Yes. But just using 'nm' and 'ldd' is not enough, as this would catch
problems with missing/changed functions, but not changes in structures
layout. I think the script would also have to parse all installed .h files
(think about things like new virtual methods, changed base class or swapped
order of two vars in the class).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer