configure issues for 3.0.x and 3.1x

Michael Matz matz at kde.org
Thu Nov 14 12:43:53 GMT 2002

Hi,

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Sturm Andreas wrote:

> kde 3.0.x:
>
> I am using openssl from SGI's freeware site. It installs under
> /usr/freeware/lib/openssl. I use the flag
> --with-openssl-dir=/usr/freeware/lib/openssl.

You meant --with-ssl-dir?

> But if you let configure do what is is supposed to do it ends up using
> /usr/freeware/lib/openssl/lib as directory which the librarys are
> taken from. This libs are o32 (the old binary format of IRIX) which is
> *not* compatible with a n32 build. Therefore you are not able to build
> ssl secured connections with konqeror afterwards. I admit that the
> openssl installation of that package is somewhat sub-optmial but i
> would like to use that package anyway since compiling/packaging kde is
> enough work for one let alone building any and all support libs. Would
> it be possible to add a configure option like --with-openssl-lib=?

Yes, in the same way it's done with the other usual support libs.  You
want to add a AC_ARG_WITH(ssl-includes) and (ssl-libs) which overwrite
ac_ssl_{includes,libraries) in admin/acinclude.m4.in.  Although I think
3.0.x is more or less dead.

> kde 3.1x:
>
> In that configure scripts are checkings for a lib64 directory. If
> these is present the installation path for the libs defaults therefore
> to lib64 (these also gets coded into the *.la files). I think that it
> is wrong to assume this only by checking for the existance of a
> particulary directory since most software, even on 64 bit IRIX, is
> n32.

Yes, that test is very supoptimal.  You are free to create a better one.
That better test could look at the given compiler (for any -n32 or
whatever flags), or better yet would inspect an object file produced by
it from a trivial source to see if it's o32 (then barf ;-), n32 or n64.
In the latter case and if /lib64 exists default to .../lib64 suffixes for
the usual libdirs.

> By the way, would it be possible to compile kde with 64 bit (i know
> there is no sense for this atm; i am just curious)?

It's not only possible, it is even done for some distributions which are
64bit only (ia64, alpha, mips and hammer for instance).

Ciao,
Michael.