make_it_cool: kdenetwork/kmail

Don Sanders sanders at kde.org
Wed Nov 6 13:52:57 GMT 2002

Hi Carsten,

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 10:21, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Rewrite nesting policy code.
> >
> > This is to work around a slow down in QListView, (I just updated
> > qt-copy and boy are things slow), I'm trying to get it fixed in
> > Qt but I might be too late for 3.1.
> >
> > Alexander Neundorf's patch improves performance 30x fold with the
> > new qt-copy but it's still 3x slower than it used to be, so
> > instead of using his patch I take a different approach that means
> > for most people (including everyone who uses non threaded mode)
> > folder switching will work at the same speed as it used to.
>
> What about kmail in HEAD? This is unbearable. KMail takes 2 minutes
> to open my KDE-folder. What about committing Alex' patch at least?

Michael already applied Alexander's patch to HEAD somewhere around
here:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cvs&m=103575348305192&w=2

So if you've got that change then folder opening should only be 3x
slower than usual, I can only assume you haven't got that change yet.

I didn't actually realize the problem was fixable in Qt until
yesterday. Now I think the problem is fixed in Qt, so the 3.1
releases should be ok. There should be no degredation in performance
for the final 3.1 releases.

Don.