Experiences with KDE-CVS at LinuxWorldExpo

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Mon Nov 4 17:57:50 GMT 2002

Adam Treat wrote:
> On Monday 04 November 2002 03:58 am, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>
>>Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>>---------------
>>
>>I think there are two distinct models to solve tasks like that, and I think
>>KDE needs solutions for both:
>>
>># 1 #
>>-----
>>Thin or very thin clients. No program runs natively on the client (apart
>>from just the X server) -- all applications run on one or more centralized
>>servers, which also store the user "profiles",  probably in a database or
>>in an LDAP directory.
>>
>># 2 #
>>-----
>>"Fat" clients. A complete set of all programs are installed on the clients.
>>"Profiles" and home directories are on central file servers. The profile is
>>retrieved if the user logs in and decides about the subset of programs the
>>user is allowed to start and use.
>>

> Ok, so you've narrowed it down to thin clients and workstations.  Does this
> GUI app work only with Linux or must it work with the *BSD's?

The current request or interest is concentrating on Linux only. I am not aware
of any potential "customer" wanting to massivly change a large client base to
*BSD or investigating the options to do so.

> Is it
> responsible for the actual deployment and configuration of the non-KDE OS ie,
> does it need to configure X, kernel, printing system, network shares, ssh,
> mail server, etc, etc.

No. Obviously this would be a nice add-on to have (if it works reliably and
is handled easily). But most people imagine to install the basic system
by other means.

The request is for a initial configuration (when the base system is installed)
and the continued maintainance/repair/re-configuration etc.