Experiences with KDE-CVS at LinuxWorldExpo

Marcus Camen mcamen at mcamen.de
Sun Nov 3 11:59:48 GMT 2002

> > * KDE needs utilities which make it easy for an administrator to
> >    configure, roll out and run 1000 user desktops (a "lost" configuration
> >    must be restored within a minute or less).
>
> Using normal unix tools this is easy to achieve, but there are no KDE
> frontends that I'm aware of available yet.

We do not want a KDE tool to configure only KDE. A tool to achieve this has to
support also non KDE applications. As you mentioned one can accomplish all
this stuff with standard UNIX tools. No need for KDE to reinvent the wheel.

> > * KDE need at the same time to retain the flexibility to have all
> >    these 1000 settings different (for different needs).
>
> That's the user's home dir. The $KDEDIRS system caters for almost all of
> this.

ACK. This _does_ work very well in corporate environments.

> > * KDE needs to be able to serve the same user profile to a users
> >    wherever he logs in (a different physical machine, but the same
> >    desktop and user profile).
>
> This is achieved by having the home dir on shared storage, like NFS. This
> has always been the traditional way to do it, and currently is the only way
> that really works and is proven to work.
>
> I've been thinking about other ways, but it really doesn't make a lot of
> sense. Using something more secure than NFS might be an idea, but whatever
> option you pick, it does end up with shared storage on the unix level, well
> outside the KDE realm. I don't think KDE has much to do here.

ACK again. And NFS / distributed filesystems even works with GNOME   ;-))

--
Marcus Camen
science+computing ag