[RFC] geographical, etc. info about kde developers and more

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri May 31 20:00:12 BST 2002

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 11:32:12AM -0700, Neil Stevens wrote:
> Contradiction:  If you claim that we're currently unable to keep two DBs
> consistent, how can you honestly suggest that we'll be able to maintain
> twice as many, containing more information?

you didn't get it.
we have two databases, that contain the same info; one of them even
contains the same info several times. it's no surprise, that some
duplicates are missed from time to time.
if the data is structured well (without duplicates), you can't make the
above mistake. either you get it right or you don't. if you don't,
somebody will fix this _one_ mistake without having to worry about where
this data could be duplicated. with data duplication it's exactly the
same as with code duplication.
one thing that will actually get somewhat harder to do, is to get the
references right (e.g., a name has to be written always the same way),
but this is a minor problem, as mistakes have an obvious effect and are
therefore fixed quickly. also, with the right tools they won't be even
introduced (real databases ensure reference consistency).

greetings