kde 3.1 -- make Keramik default?

John Firebaugh jfirebaugh at kde.org
Thu May 30 18:49:22 BST 2002

On Thursday 30 May 2002 10:02, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Thursday May 30, 2002 05:36, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> > The remaining issues:
> >
> > 1. fixing remaining usability issues (like comboboxes)
> > 2. finding a colorscheme
> > 3. deciding on the icon set
> > 4. GTK-apps integration. Maybe we can find somebody who is interested
> >     in making a Keramik GTK style?
>
> Good list of issues.  Here's some I'd add.
>
> 5. Test it on a wide range of hardware, to see if it's snappy like the
> current locolor default.
> 6. Test it on locolor hardware at all?

Yes, it seems likely that it will run slower on slower machines. Not a big
suprise there. But given that processer speeds are doubling every 2 minutes,
and the fact that one can easily turn it off, and the fact that we provide an
explicit step in kpersonalizer for exactly such purposes, this is a
non-issue.

> 7. Revise all the literature saying that KDE styles are fast C++, rather
> than slow pixmaps.

Yes, I'm sure there are volumes and volumes direly in need of this update.

> 8. Write yet another kpersonalizer setting, to get the old KDE defaults.

No need for another one; just put Keramik somewhere on the high end of the
eye-candy-o-meter.

-John