Thumbnails in tooltips

Sarang Lakare sarang at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 24 21:06:58 BST 2002

This is cool. But I have a few suggestions if I may. After using konqueror
with the longer tooltips of KDE3 I have realized that at times they are
really irritating because they take up too much space (and distract me) when
I am trying to just look for a file in a directory through konq. Everytime I
move the mouse, a new large tooltip pops up!!

On the other hand, they are really useful when you need to check info of a
file, hence, they should definitely stay.

Now, with image added to the tooltip, it becomes really huge! (as can be seen
for the image you have linked.)

Won't it be a good idea if all this meta information and the preview is shown
in a separate location inside konqueror? A preview location or something like
that? The tooltip in that case will show only little information. The
directory view is then cleared up and does not distract the user. This could
be something like Windoze explorer.. but with little space wastage.

Regards,
Sarang

On Friday 24 May 2002 10:21 am, Simon MacMullen wrote:
> I'm working on adding a large (256x256) thumbnail to the konqueror icon
> view tooltip. (256x256 since that's the large format specified in the
> thumbnail standard IIRC.)
>
> It's currently working ok-ish (half-finished patch is attached for the
> curious), but I'm having trouble making it follow the user's preferences
> regarding thumbnails. The problem is that all the action happens in
> KonqIconViewWidget, which doesn't have a reference to a KonqPropsView - it
> just gets passed a list of acceptable mime types for previews. But not when
> the user has just disabled previews.
>
> I could add KonqIconViewWidget::setKonqPropsView and have KonqKfmIconView
> call that, but it seems somehow ugly. Does anyone have any better ideas?
>
> Oh yeah, and what do you think of the concept?
>
> Cheers, Simon
>
> http://www.babysimon.co.uk/kde/tooltipthumbnail.png [243kB]
>
>  <<tooltips.diff>>

Sarang Lakare
mailto:sarang at users#sourceforge.net
web:http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~lsarang/linux
!!Join the fight for freedom - Go GNU/Linux!!