kpanelextension

John Firebaugh jfirebaugh at kde.org
Thu May 23 20:47:26 BST 2002

On Thursday 23 May 2002 12:34, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > but I don't think that
> > the change you are suggesting is appropriate. What leads you to want to
> > do this?
>
> specifically: getting size information from kicker's kcm to the individual
> extensions. when updating the Size, child panels just sit there since they
> are never informed of the size change. when the position or alignment is
> changed, the child panels immediately take up the new settings since they
> are notified of those changes via KPanelExtension.
>
> i can't simply tie size changing to position or orientation changes,
> either, since those may not change when the size does.
>
> position, alignment and size are all, IMO, common to panels. whether a
> panel uses Tiny / Small / Normal / Large or always Custom is irrelevant.
> this common parameter is not settable from the "outside", unlike every
> other parameter.
>
> from the user's perspective, this is perplexing. why can't they change the
> size of a child panel from the kcm, but they can change the position,
> alignment, hiding, etc?

If the extension is just going to use its custom size as returned by the
sizeHint(), isn't having a config option that doesn't do anything even more
perplexing?

Is it appropriate to change the size of the dockbar extension (the dockapps
aren't going to resize accordingly)? What about the taskbar extension? To be
useful, a size control for the taskbar extension needs to be able to have a
width range of something like 75-200 pixels.

I just don't think having the same size control for extensions as the main
panel is appropriate.

-John