App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Sat May 4 22:05:17 BST 2002

Am Samstag, 4. Mai 2002 22:43 schrieb Waldo Bastian:

> It doesn't make any difference whether there are 4 CD burning
> applications or whether there is a "planetarium program, a hangman clone,
> an irc client and a golf game". Both are 4 programs and both will
> introduce new strings to translate. If translators don't have enough time
> to translate them then that's a problem in both cases but I don't see why
> this is solely a problem of application duplication.

It may be no difference in the statistics but it surely makes a big
difference for the people who have to do essentially the selfsame job
4 times over, and maybe 5 times, or 6 times, or -- how many of these
apps are there?

I don't think you can count on the existing translation teams (nor, as it
seems, on the existing documentation team) to do this kind of work. And
from what I'm reading here, most developers don't seem to believe that
a KDE with 4 apps of basically the same functionality would be the direction
they want the project to go to.

Regards,

Thomas

--