kdelibs and the GPL

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Thu Jun 20 13:44:10 BST 2002

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 01:55:55PM +0200, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> I think the Linux kernel solves this issue by having modules ( == plugins
> ) export a variable containing the license they're under.  I think the
> standard kernel prohibits you to load modules under proprietary
> licenses... ( at least, i was writing a small kernel module once ( just
> playing :), and i forgot to export this variable, and the kernel wouldn't
> load it, and gave an error that i should specify the license...

The kernel is GPL right? Patch the standard kernel not to include those
limitations, voila.

The fun part is that you can easily make proprietary applications using
GPLed libraries/cores. Use IPC/DCOP tricks. I can't link to your code? No
problem, I'll just add another (IPC) interface to your code, GPL that
interface (which does link to your code) and make my proprietary app on top
of the interface.

Probably one of the bigger loopholes in the GPL.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | Gimme some love, gimme some skin,
cap at capsi.com | if we ain't got that then we ain't got much