KDE 3.1 release schedule draft

Raffaele Sandrini sandrini at kde.org
Mon Jun 3 20:25:35 BST 2002

On Monday 03 June 2002 00:45, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've put a 3.1 release schedule draft online at
>
> http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.1-release-plan.html
>
> The feature plan (!) freeze is rather soon, but given that the document got
> quite well maintained, I don't consider it to be a big problem. Although
> many of the entries are already in the green and yellow section, there is
> still a huge "red" TODO list. In my opinion there is not enough time to
> implement them all, even if we plan KDE 3.1 for early next year, so we have
> to cut it somewhere.
>
> According to the current draft there are about 7 weeks left for
> implementing the "agreed on" features on the feature plan, and another 6
> weeks bugfixing only. I suggest that this freeze period will be more
> strictly handled compared to the 3.0 release, which deliberately had a
> rather soft policy.
>
> I know this schedule is rather tight, but in case, we can always slip it by
> for 2-3 weeks by adding another release candidate (or making the rc1 one a
> "public" one with 3-4 weeks time for feedback). I decided against
> "hardcoding" this already into the current draft for obvious reasons
> though.
>
> Note dear translators: the i18n string freeze means changes by developers
> to i18n string changes. translators are always allowed to adjust stuff or
> to commit their translations. You're in no way affected by the freezes.
>
> Please comment, complain, scream ;-)

This way i won't be able eather to finisch the bug-list or implement new
features... --> this is too tight. Why do we need such a long freeze persiod
- its only 3.1... I would propose to start the freeze at the earliest 30.
June - 31 July·

You say to not implemet much features? Why? For non feature realease we have
3.0.2. I think we have the right to take us some time till 3.1 :-)

BTW: I have finisch exams in school and won't be able to code that much in
June!

cheers,
Raffaele
--