KDE 3.1 release schedule draft

Stephan Binner binner at kde.org
Mon Jun 3 12:54:34 BST 2002

On Monday 03 June 2002 10:56, Rob Kaper wrote:

> But one bad thing I can think of is a lot of critism from the press/trolls
> users that 3.1 is not worth the upgrade (and you know how that will just
> extrapolate into "KDE is dead" and "GNOME 2.0 dwarfs KDE" crazyness).

In my opinion there are already major reasons in place which will let users
upgrade to a new version (tabbed browsing, LDAP, S/MIME, Keramik style/deco,
new icon theme/applications). Consider that some users stay with KDE 2-series
because they think of KDE 3.0 as "just a port" and will upgrade not until KDE
3.1. If 3.1 would be released in November switching to 3 will be lengthened.

> Also, a lot of applications have been moved from kdenonbeta to release
> modules while still working towards full release quality. If those projects

Concentrate on quality then and not new features in new apps. Concentrate on
the ever growing bug list for 6 weeks and then new features shortly after. If
you are bored with bug hunting implement new features in a branch instead.

> (to be truly honest: the draft schedule is not more tight than any of the
> previous.. but the late announcement makes me feel like it is)

Yes, don't complain. It was never stated there would be 7 months to KDE 3.1.

Bye,
   Steve