VFolders isn't a standard yet

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Tue Jul 9 09:18:34 BST 2002

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 09:45 am, Raphaƫl Quinet wrote:

Hi,

> did agree).  If I change the .desktop files after the installation,
> the menus are messed up every time I upgrade a package.  I do not
> think that any package manager would respect my local policies
> regarding the menu structure and still allow the installation, upgrade
> and removal of packages to work correctly.

This is rather straight forward to be solved in the package manager. If the
files are not moved around manually by the administrator but by the package
manager the package manager knows[1] which files to replace when the package
is beeing updated. So I really do have the impression that the flaw is with
the package mananger not with the menu hierarchy.

Regards,
--martin
[1] On of the important differences of a package manager like rpm and a "make
install" is that the package manager keeps a reverse mapping in a db since
ages.

--
Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold
e r f r a k o n