Comments on VFolder spec

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Jul 8 21:59:16 BST 2002

On Monday 08 July 2002 12:55 pm, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Waldo Bastian <bastian at kde.org> writes:
> > The categories listed seem to be quite complete. I would like to propose
> > the following aditional catgories:
> >
> > Education - Educational software
> >
> > and
> >
> > KDE - KDE based application
> > QT - Qt (but not KDE) based application
> > GNOME - GNOME based application
> > GTK - GTK (but not GNOME) based application
> > X - Graphical application not based on GTK or QT.
> > Text - Text/console based application.
>
> Those sound good. One I found today I'd like is "Screensaver".

Ah yes, we don't show those at the moment but in order to do hide them with
vfolders I guess we need to have them tagged as such.

Should we also have "Control-Module" then? Then we would have a somewhat
mutual exclusive set of "Application / Applets / Screensaver /
Control-Module"

> > Should anything be said about the orthogonality of categories? E.g. the
> > six categories mentioned above are pretty much mutually exclusive.
>
> It's probably worth noting when specific categories should be, yeah. I
> don't think the implementation code should bother trying to enforce
> anything like that though, do you?

No, just as a hint to the application developer that adding both Text-Editor
and Game might give unexpected results.

> > I don't like the approach that every shared standard that we come up
> > with defines its own locations. In KDE we define eveything relative
> > to $KDEDIR(S), if we can create something like $FREEDESKTOP_DIR(S)
> > then we can spec everything relative to that and we don't need a set
> > of env.vars for every spec that we are going to come up with.
>
> How about DESKTOP_DIR?

Sounds good to me. I would then like to take it a step further and say that
applications should install stuff into $DESKTOP_DIR, but that lookups should
use the directories specified by $DESKTOP_DIRS, in order of importance, with
the directories seperated by ':'.

If no $DESKTOP_DIRS is specified it defaults to "$HOME/.desktop:$DESKTOP_DIR".

If no $DESKTOP_DIR is specified it defaults to XXX.

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com