The "E" in "KDE" (more or less was: KDE RC Authority)

Joseph Wenninger jowenn at kde.org
Fri Jul 5 18:52:10 BST 2002

Hi

On Friday 05 July 2002 15:01, Rob Kaper wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 03:49:32PM +0200, David Faure wrote:
> > Yes, but there are also apps which obey to the guidelines etc., but which
> > are not of interest to everyone, and/or which might want to be released
> > at times independent from the rest of KDE (more often, or less often, or
> > later...) That's what kde extra gear is for.
>
> Released independent of KDE -> not packaged for release -> kdenonbeta.
>
> If all these CD burning applications cannot agree on CD burning.. how could
> they ever agree on the release cycle for the gear they are in? I was to
> understood that the kdegear package would be released as a package.
>
> If the releases of applications in it are still done seperately, then there
> is no benefit over kdenonbeta.

In my impression KDEnonbeta stands for KDE NON BETA, which means not even of
BETA qualtiy, say ALPHA versions.

I don't know why your are always that kdenonbeta fixed. That CVS collection is
nearly unusable for serious development. The Makefile.cvs and configure takes
ages to finish. Even on my 1.4 GHz/ UltraWideSCSI/ 512MB development
computer.

> If a kdegear is released as package (albeit with a different cycle), then I
> just don't understand how this is going to work. Will CD App 1 have to
> delay a release because competing CD App 2 is not done yet?
>

>From the mails, which led to the creation of kdeextragear-1 I understood that
this repository is for applications, which are KDE related an in a state of a
BETA or better. It's just a collection in CVS, but each application is (if at
all) packaged separately.

Kind regards
Joseph Wenninger