proposal for redesign of toolbar menu feature in kdeui

Joseph Wenninger jowenn at jowenn.at
Tue Jul 2 17:14:37 BST 2002

Hi

On Tuesday 02 July 2002 15:48, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 July 2002 14:46, jowenn at kde.org wrote:
> > Simon just reimplemented my toolbarmenu action,
> > which   should make the whole thing a littlebit
> > cleaner. Only if there is one toolbar it is
>
> Sure, it reduces the clutter a bit - still:
>
> Now I have a menu entry which says "Toolbars >" .. So why isn't "Configure
> Toolbars" in the submenu then? Oh, because it matches quite well together
> with the "Configure Shortcut" item. But on the other hand "Toolbars >" is
> about configuring toolbars, too. So .. hm, doesn't look "clean" in terms of
> concept to me yet ...

Although I have to admit showing/hiding has a littlebit to do with
configruation, but I still  think it's a large difference between the
showing/hiding of a toolbar and configuration of it's contents.

One thing I don't understand at all, but that's even before we started redoing
the toolbar action, is, why they are placed within the settings menu at all.

I think a toplevel "Window" menu, whith the show toolbar, the statusbar,
tooldocks, .... would be cleaner. Because that actions are affecting the
mainWINDOW itself a lot more than most settings in the "Settings" menu or
dialogs.

> If you feel that you need to switch toolbars on and off quite often in a
> particular application then add a "Configure Toolbar"-button to the
> application's toolbar on your HDD. Or simply just use the RMB-menu (That's
> something power-users are used to do anyways).

The RMB-Menu is one of  the new features. The old RMB toolbar menu had no
possibility to hide/show toolbars