XML version of feature plan

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Tue Dec 3 23:47:23 GMT 2002

I have just committed an xml version of the feature plan and a
corresponding php script to generate the known html version on the fly.
Credits for the php stuff go to Mario Andres Yepes C. Thanks Mario.

Generating the html from an xml source has a couple of big advantages:
- Changing the status of a feature just means changing an attribute, not
moving around html code.
- Moving a planned feature from one version to another is also done by
just changing an attribute.
- The hierarchy is only defined once, being the same for all versions
and status values.
- All features of an application are in one block, not distributed over
the document depending on the status.
- All features for all versions are in one file.

The XML can be found at
developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-features.xml and the
php page at
developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.2-features.php.

The information is not yet complete. There are a few things missing
which are present in the current html version, because the perl script
I used to convert the html to xml didn't get them.

If there is agreement that the xml file is preferable for storing the
feature plan I will add the missing information, clean it up a bit and
remove the html files.

I think this would make it much more easy to maintain the planned
features document because it's less work and less error-prone to update
the information.

What do you think?