Proposal unify back our release schedules

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 13:53:38 BST 2024

On Friday, 19 April 2024 18.39.01 CEST Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > * We end up with 3 different products which are released at different
> > times
> > but are connected together. Apps and Plasma both need Framework, Plasma
> > needs some packages from gear like kio-extra, Gear needs some package from
> > Plasma like Breeze. Coordinating all these inter-groups dependencies is
> > complex and was one the reason we had to do a megarelease for Plasma 6.
> > Also for the end user, one product is a lot easier to understand.
>
> This is an engineering topic in this case.
>
> And, to me, this is an excellent reason not to reunify release schedules!
> Because what it tells me is that we're still having dependency issues which
> need to be solved.

sometimes the dependency problem i hear people comaplaining about is also more
of a thing "for this app(or plasma) release i want to use this framework
feature but i can't yet because i can't depend from x version" which really
seems to be a problem to be solved with more... discipline?

--
Marco Martin