Proposal unify back our release schedules

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Apr 20 14:12:48 BST 2024

On Freitag, 19. April 2024 22:40:38 CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 4:39 AM Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:
> > The example you give shows Plasma depending on Gear, this shouldn't
> > happen, so
> > I'd argue: let's fix that instead.

In my opinion the same goes for Gear depending on Plasma.

> > > * We currently don't have a stable branch for Framework and it takes
> > > often
> > > up to one month for fixes to be deployed. The Framework releases is also
> > > not in sync with either Gear nor Plasma while these two modules heavily
> > > make use of Framework and contribute to Framework.
>
> Changing the Frameworks release cadence away from monthly isn't going to
> get fixes out any faster - as if you are using distribution packages it
> still has to be packaged.
> If anything it will make them take longer as the Frameworks release would
> end up being every couple of months instead of monthly? (you can always
> build Frameworks locally if you need the fixes now)

For (non-rolling) distributions that update packages on patch releases but not
on minor releases it would make a difference if there where patch releases of
Frameworks. Not all distributions can follow and backport important fixes in
Frameworks. At worst, users will have to suffer a bug in Frameworks until the
next LTS release.

Regards,
Ingo