Help KDE apps comply with FlatHub's new guidelines

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Thu Apr 11 20:36:06 BST 2024

On Thursday 11 April 2024 20:38:19 CEST Andy B wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2024 at 9:32 AM Paul Brown <paul.brown at kde.org> wrote:

> > of

> > https://docs.flathub.org/docs/for-app-authors/metainfo-guidelines/quality-> > >
> >
> > > guidelines/

> > adapt

> > front

> > report

> > > Thank you for making us aware of this change. I wanted to ask that we
> >
> > work
> >
> > > closely together with the VDG designers to help in this process. If you
> > > can't get the original authors or app maintainers in the work, or even
> > > if
> > > you do, we can help adapt the icons to the standards required when it
> >
> > comes
> >
> > > to graphics.
> >
> > That would be great! What do you suggest? What other ML do you think we
> > should
> > crosspost this to? Maybe you can post and coordinate things in the VDG
> > Matrix/
> > Telegram channels.
> >
> > Also please feel free to add stuff to the task. Maybe add VDG-specific
> > tasks to
> > the TODO list so we can all keep track.
>
> Probably like this:
>
> 1. We want to understand if any of our Flathub apps are already in
> compliance vs others that are not. We focus on the ones that need fixing.

We got a very comprehensive list of problems on the task, but here it is as
well:

https://carlschwan.eu/appdata/

> 2. Check with a maintainer or person responsible for the app to see how
> they could meet the criteria.
> 3. Determine who will do the work, if needed

We have a list of (very basic) TODOs on the task. Anybody can come in, do one
or two, and then move out. Most of the TODOs require changing a line or two in
a text file. Very junior-job like stuff.

Agreed that for more complex jobs, like re-designing icons and stuff, would
require more planning.

> 4. Work with the VDG when all other steps are not possible
>
> I realize this is a bit of a project, would Adam Szopa be available to
> coordinate some of this?

Added to CC. Let's see what he can tell us. And Ingo? He's the app store
engineer person. Surely this would be in his field of expertise.

Cheers

Paul