Post-MegaRelease projects

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Thu Feb 22 21:57:07 GMT 2024

Hello everyone,

Congrats to the entire KDE community on the impending launch of the KDE
6 MegaRelease! I'm so impressed with how folks came together to make it
amazing. It's a very impressive release and I think people are gonna
love it.

I've started pondering post-megarelease projects. We've spent so long on
porting and bugfixing that I think it might be useful to shift gears to
feature work, and I'd like to brainstorm potential large-scale projects
and gauge the level of interest in putting resources into them soon.

Here are some ideas of mine to get the creative juices started:

* David's input method playground stuff [1] is amazing and needs to be
developed and productized
* GNOME's Libadwaita app platform has been a runaway success for them;
evaluate our offerings in comparison and see what we can do better
* Unified theming infrastructure for KDE apps, GTK apps, and Plasma.
** Relatedly: QML/JS in themes is dangerous; move away from it
* Start adding release notes to our apps' AppStream metadata [2]
* Finish up and ship the new Breeze icons
* HIG is outdated and mostly ignored, and needs an overhaul to make it
useful
* Telemetry system has not proved to be very useful and needs an overhaul
* store.kde.org is full of low-quality or broken content; make a push
for KDE people to take ownership of content moderation, QA, etc. Also
any relevant and needed tech improvements
* Our virtual keyboard situation is not great and needs focused work
* KWallet needs an overhaul
* Have KWin (optionally) remember window positions on Wayland
* Build a "System misconfiguration detection hub" app [3]

Feel free to discuss, and propose your own!

Nate

[1]
https://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blog/new-ideas-using-wayland-input-methods/
[2] https://github.com/ximion/appstream/issues/354