Questions about real name policy

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Nov 2 08:59:01 GMT 2023

On Thu, Nov 2, 2023 at 9:10 AM Joshua Goins <josh at redstrate.com> wrote:

> > You must use a proper name, otherwise the servers will reject it yes.
> >
> > However we have no way of enforcing a real name, so it really just needs
> > be something you are known by.
> > (ie. there is nothing to stop people from using pseudonyms)
>
> Thanks Ben for the background information, although it's not mentioned I'm
> assuming the reason for the space in the name check (which I'm personally
> fine
> with) is because of spammers? And it's probably a really easy way to catch
> easy mistakes like git using the name of the current user when it's not
> set
> up.

Nope. The check was added in far simpler times many many years ago, not
long after KDE started moving to Git from SVN.

Git versions in that era did not require you to explicitly set a name, and
instead would inherit the name of your local user account (as from `id
-un`).
This was undesirable as many names are quite common and don't help identify
you in the commit history, so we put the hook in place to ensure accidents
didn't happen.

There is still merit in this check, as we do want people to be using
proper/identifiable names.

> I'm going to save this information for later, it would be helpful to write
> up
> a resource on this - especially the email part which is in my opinion is a
> really important requirement.
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

Cheers,