[discussion] archiving and retiring the Dot

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Mon Oct 2 15:54:02 BST 2023

Thank you for your input, Carl! Just saw your replies after hitting send.

On 10/2/23 16:42, Carl Schwan wrote:
> On Monday, 2 October 2023 14:05:25 CEST Johnny Jazeix wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> Hi,
>
>> The GSoC/SoK management team publishes blog posts on the Dot. Is there
>> an alternative where we can post?
>
> This is a good question :) season.kde.org would be the first candidate that
> comes to my mind but considering that this would require writting a lot of
> code just to add a bloging feature to that website and I already lack the
> times to work on some long standing improvements to it. I don't think it's a
> good idea.

Noted. I was not aware of how much extra work adding a blog would be, so
those ideas in my other email can be disregarded.

> Instead I think either: https://kde.org/announcements would be fine as our
> participation to GSoC is a KDE wide announcements or as alternative following
> the discussion on https://discuss.kde.org/t/a-new-blogs-kde-org/5011/ we could
> have a specific blog for GSoC/SoK announcements. Both solutions should be
> pretty much equivalent, since the announcements would end up on planet.kde.org
> and on our social media.

Having SoK/GSoC posts at https://kde.org/announcements also makes sense
to me. That said, dedicated team accounts at blogs.kde.org, if possible
(e.g., blogs.kde.org/akademy/), could generalize to more situations when
needed.

Cheers,
Joseph

--
Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss
KDE Internal Communications & KDE Eco Community Manager

Generally available Monday-Thursday from 10-16h CET/CEST. Outside of
these times it may take a little longer for me to respond.

KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!
Website: https://eco.kde.org
Mastodon: @be4foss at floss.social