[discussion] archiving and retiring the Dot

Kenny Duffus kenny at kde.org
Mon Oct 2 13:58:41 BST 2023

On Monday, 2 October 2023 12:28:25 BST Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> at the recent Promo Sprint we addressed the topic of Promo blogging and
> the Dot. The topic was brought up in the context of other discussions
> about blogging at KDE (see [1]). One observation was that the
> communication needs the Dot addresses are being fulfilled elsewhere. For
> instance:
>
>   * Software releases are posted to the announcements page:
> https://kde.org/announcements/
>
>   * e.V. news is posted at the e.V. page: https://ev.kde.org/news/

I am unlikely to be the only one that doesn't regularly check those places

>   * Many teams have their own blogs (https://eco.kde.org/blog/,
> https://gcompris.net/news-en.html, etc.)
>
>   * Akademy updates are posted at the Akademy page: https://akademy.kde.org/

That is not correct, Akademy makes a huge use of the dot for sharing info to the wider community

You can see this by looking at the articles on https://dot.kde.org/

> Posts to the above blogs also appear on Planet KDE. Moreover, Promo
> announces all news related to the above topics on social media as well.
>
> In this context, a radical idea came up: perhaps we can archive and
> retire the Dot altogether.
>
> What does the commmunity think about this proposal?
>
> Archiving and retiring the Dot will solve the problem of migrating it,
> as it does not get migrated at all, just archived. It helps followers of
> KDE news discriminate more easily between what they want to read about
> and what not. And for followers who want to read everything there's
> always the Planet.
>
> Additionally, retiring the Dot would help streamline our communication
> and the work that goes into maintaining it, also in terms of
> infrastructure. Any blog posts outside of the above topics but related
> to Promo could be published on the personal sites of the Promo team
> (perhaps hosted at the revised blogs.kde.org site [1]) and aggregated on
> Planet.
>
> What does the community think of this idea? Do you support it? Oppose it?

I think its a terrible idea

KDE needs somewhere for official news, having that just mixed in with blog posts would make them much harder to find and be drowned out in noise

--

	Kenny (he/him)