[announcement] Telegram bridging to be retired Wed. 20 Sept. | 5 to-dos

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 17:19:39 BST 2023

Hi,

Le mer. 23 août 2023 à 18:01, Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> a écrit :

> On Mittwoch, 23. August 2023 17:16:16 CEST Niccolò Ve wrote:

> > > https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-community/2023q2/007656.html
> >
> > Please read the link and the following emails. It's pretty clear that it's
> > not an announcement nor a request for discussion.
>
> To save others from having to click the link. The Subject of the linked
> message that was sent by Paul on 12 June 2023 reads
> "Telegram <->  Matrix bridges will be removed in September"
>
> I fail to understand how this is supposed to support your claim that "the
> community was never told about this decision before yesterday" because clearly
> Paul made the decision public more than 2 months ago with the linked message.
>
> Regards,
> Ingo

I don't want to misinterpret what Paul said in the mail but it seems
more he discovered it and informed the community to start a discussion
about it, not that he announced it.

I'm adding the 2 "important" replies that concern this discussion:
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-community/2023q2/007657.html -> "As
Paul is aware this was still to be announced and discussed in the
Community [...] More detailed reply coming"
and
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-community/2023q2/007664.html ->
"If the discussion has not yet started, then it seems a bit premature to
be making any decisions now based on potential future outcomes of said
discussion.
If we do eventually agree to wind down the bridging services, the point
about needing a long runway to communicate this to users and help them
migrate seems valid. Can we agree to avoid making decisions about the
bridges today that only make sense if the outcome of that discussion is
"yes let's wind down the bridges"?

I think we are at the stage where the decision to remove the bridges
and its shutdown date have been done but no discussion happened in the
kde-community list (I can't find one in the archives)?

Cheers,
Johnny