[announcement] Telegram bridging to be retired Wed. 20 Sept. | 5 to-dos

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Wed Aug 23 15:08:38 BST 2023

On Wednesday, 23 August 2023 13:56:13 CEST Ilmari Lauhakangas wrote:
> On 23.8.2023 14.24, Paul Brown wrote:
> > A lot fo good ideas we can use to reach a compromise, but this ...
> >
> >> KDE members are of course free to participate in discussions anywhere
> >> they want, but loading KDE resources (sysadmin team & machines) with all
> >> possible proprietary network doesn't seem a priority for me.
> >
> > ... 😬
> >
> > By that logic, would you have a problem if Promo stopped managing Facebook
> > (65,000+ followers), Xitter (120,000+ followers), LinkedIn (17,000+
> > followers), and Reddit (100,000+ followers)? These are all proprietary and
> > all load KDE's resources. But it is KDE's Promo resources.
> >
> > If Promo didn't manage these platforms, KDE would gradually lose this
> > audience, and I can prove that with graphs.
>
> It's not the same logic. Chat platforms with bridging infrastructure
> need moderators/user support + sysadmin time + hardware. 3rd party
> social network platforms need moderators/user support.

Both take up resources in the shape of time people have to spend working on
them. My point is I do not believe that one person's time in one team is less
valuable than another's in another team. If we remove the bridges from all
Telegram channels two things can happen:

1. The time the promo team and project mods spend managing the channels is
already high, and will at least double per every channel and become more
complex and error-prone.

2. If we lack the resources to manage both branches of all channels (which we
do), communities will inevitably diverge. I mean, what do we have to do? copy
and paste conversations to and fro to keep everybody up to date of important
stuff?

My prediction is that the Telegram version will veer quickly off topic (it is
now and there is nearly not a day where we do not have to intervene to correct
course in the Kdenlive channels), to a point that the channels will become
KDE-oriented in name only. Then they and all the users will be lost to us.

I am proposing a compromise. It is within the nature of compromises that the
make everybody unhappy, but less so than if the decision is, in this case
"let's burn all the bridges!" or "let's not burn any of them!".

> If Facebook et
> al. would be bridged to the KDE chat infra (dark magic like this might
> awaken the Great Old Ones and should not be attempted),

Definitely not.

Cheers

Paul
--