planet forwarding to discuss?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed Jun 21 15:57:44 BST 2023

Am Mittwoch, 21. Juni 2023, 16:20:21 CEST schrieb Nate Graham:
> Regarding the topic of having comments split across multiple places, I'm
> afraid that ship has sailed. I have comments on my blog, and the
> discussion nevertheless gets split across Reddit, Mastodon, Phoronix,
> and Discuss already.

Isn't it a difference if a discussion happens at some external place or if it
happens in some KDE place? People might rather expect the original post author
around in a KDE one, no?

Perhaps it could be only done for blog posts where authors/people opt-in to
use discuss.kde.org for follow-up discussions. E.g. IIRC Kate blog posts have
had decided to use kreddit as the central discussion/commenting place. And
might consider perhaps to switch to discuss.kde.org instead (though will
people follow? yet another account needed? yet another UI, yet another set of
user names?)

And there are discussions, and there are value-adding comments.

IMHO social-clubbing discussions are fine to have elsewhere, but if people
point out mistakes or have additional information, please let's not invite
them to other seemingly KDE-officially places when the original blog post
allows comments. So just because things are bad already, let's not make it
worse for more people.

Friedrich