(low-frequency) mailing lists | suggestions & summary of prior thread

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Wed May 24 08:35:38 BST 2023

On 5/24/23 00:03, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El dimarts, 23 de maig de 2023, a les 14:10:37 (CEST), Joseph P. De Veaugh-
>> Beyond typical forum functionality, Discourse integrates well with email
>> and RSS. Something to consider for low-frequency mailing list groups:
>> there may be projects and communities that benefit by officially moving
>> communication to Discourse. Although I have no data to back up the
>> claim, I suspect having users interact on a more active platform could
>> generally increase engagement within KDE.
>>
>> A nice feature of Discourse is: for mailing list subscribers who wish to
>> continue receiving posts in their mail clients,
>
> Is it really? I remember once that i visited, commented on a post and never
> ever got emails when people answered me on that post. I am not a crazy person
> that plans visiting discuss.kde.org every 5 minutes just in case someone has
> answered me, the site must send me an email and in my 1 time experience it
> failed to do so.

Is this with "mailing list mode" enabled?

I think what you are describing is related to general email settings for
notifications. This can be found under Profile > Preferences > Emails.
This looks like the relevant place: "Email me when I am quoted, replied
to, my @username is mentioned, or when there is new activity in my
watched categories, tags or topics." Perhaps check your settings there?

Note there may also be relevant settings under Profile > Preferences >
Tracking for "tracking" and "watching", word choices which do not make
the distinction clear, in my opinion. Right now I am not well-informed
about the options here.

However, I am testing "mailing list mode" and I receive dozens of emails
a day for the categories I did not mute (see info below). I have not
tested the reply by email function yet, though.

Cheers,
Joseph

--
Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss
KDE Internal Communications & KDE Eco Community Manager

Generally available Monday-Thursday from 10-16h CET/CEST. Outside of
these times it may take a little longer for me to respond.

KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!
Website: https://eco.kde.org
Mastodon: @be4foss at floss.social