Retirement of IRC Services and KDETalk.net (Jabber)

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun May 21 20:15:42 BST 2023

On Sun, May 21, 2023 at 11:05 PM Halla Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

> On zondag 21 mei 2023 11:37:45 CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:
>
> > Depending on the level of community interest, we may opt to retain
> > pursuivant however i'd like for it to be rebuilt as a Matrix native
> service
> > rather than being a continuation of our existing irker based bot that
> > occasionally has issues and falls off.
>
> For Krita, we're still using irc in preference to matrix, since matrix is
> more complicated to use and not as reliable.
>
> We'd really miss the bots telling us about new bug reports and fill in the
> title of a bug or phab task (though it would be great if it could also fill
> in gitlab mr's titles...)

Unfortunately the bot codebase for sKreamer is unmaintained by upstream,
and written in Ruby - meaning it cannot be run on newer operating systems
(as they use a newer - and incompatible - Ruby).
Hence why i'm looking at decommissioning it, as the server in question has
reached end of life support from it's distribution.

> Halla

Cheers,
Ben