Inactive mailing lists

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Sun Apr 30 11:12:03 BST 2023

On 4/29/23 11:58, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El dijous, 27 d’abril de 2023, a les 23:42:47 (CEST), Joseph P. De Veaugh-
> Geiss va escriure:
>>    * It may not be obvious to new (or even old) contributors that a list
>> is no longer in use, resulting in wasted energy signing up for an
>> inactive one.
>
> The fact that there's no traffic doesn't necessarily mean that the people that
> are subscribed won't answer appropriate emails sent to it, does it?

Correct, and in some cases they do.

In that case, the list should, in my opinion:

  - remain open since it is still active, however infrequently; or
  - we consider moving discussions from infrequently used channels to
more active channels such as Matrix or Discuss, which might mean closing
the list down.

In my opinion moving discussions to more active channels like Matrix or
Discuss may increase visibility of the topics discussed and encourage
participation from the larger community. Such migrations are likely
already happening, organically.

I will try to reach out to specific mailing lists with infrequent
activity to get their opinion. In the end the affected community should
decide, I'd say.

Nevertheless, perhaps a policy for when a communication channel can be
considered a candidate to be closed down is useful in combatting the
prolifieration of platforms and a possible fracturing of internal
communication. I will think about this over the next several months, but
will also need community feedback, so don't hesitate to give your
opinion, either here or to me personally.

> Cheers,
>    Albert

Cheers,
Joseph

--
Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss
KDE Internal Communications & KDE Eco Community Manager

Generally available Monday-Thursday from 10-16h CET/CEST. Outside of
these times it may take a little longer for me to respond.

KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!
Website: https://eco.kde.org
Mastodon: @be4foss at floss.social