request | are you keeping (unsupported) hardware in use by running Plasma?

Jan Rathmann Jan.Rathmann at gmx.de
Fri Jan 6 18:25:29 GMT 2023

Hello,

Am 09.12.22 um 14:01 schrieb Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss:
 > Hello,
 >
 > And I am wondering: Can the community provide a list of hardware they
 > keep out of landfills by running KDE Plasma + their distribution of
choice?

Two old machines that still run with KDE (mainly Kubuntu):

* self-build desktop PC *
Board:    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 (bought in 2008)
CPU:      Intel Core2Quad Q9550
           (bought second-hand in 2016,
           replaced a Core2Duo E6550 from 2008)
Memory:   4 GB (upgraded to 8 GB in 01/2022)
Graphics: Asus Radeon R7 240
           (bought second-hand in 2019)

Together with a SSD as my primary storage device, this machine still run
respectively fast today, and I have used it on a daily base for surfing,
music and video playback, developing RAW photos with darktable, some
minor work on FOSS (primarily testing and a bit of debugging) some
office, some simple/older game stuff etc. until September 2022 (I passed
it to my grandfather then, and it still works fine!).

* Acer Extensa 5635Z (Laptop, bought in 2009) *
CPU:      Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4400
Memory:   4 GB
Graphics: Intel Mobile 4 Series GM45 Express Chipset

This is the machine my mother uses, where I do the admin work. It is
used mainly for office work and surfing (including some occassional
video conferences). The internal hard disk was replaced by a SSD, and
with that KDE boots fast and runs at decent speed, even 3D acceleration
for compositing works! (OS: Kubuntu 20.04 with Plasma 5.18).

Hope that helps!
Jan