Does KDE have a policy for shipping libraries licensed under the Apache license?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Dec 20 07:57:59 GMT 2022

On Montag, 19. Dezember 2022 23:34:11 CET Simon Redman wrote:
> But my view don't matter, what matters is what happens in court, in the
> event anyone ever accuses KDE of violating license terms. As I am not
> qualified to expose KDE to any additional risk, is there a policy (or
> accepted precedent) for distributing Apache-licensed libraries?

I'm not aware of an official policy for shipping libraries licensed under the
Apache license as part of build artifacts published by KDE. Traditionally, we
only published source code where this question didn't arise. The KDE licensing
policy only applies to "new source code and related data files in KDE
repositories".

Your question applies equally to the installers for Windows and macOS and the
AppImages, FlatPaks, Snaps, etc. which KDE publishes. All of those installers/
packages include loads of third-party libraries and data that is published
under all kinds of Open Source licenses. I think our policy could be something
like "Everything (executable, libraries, images, data, etc.) included in
installers, AppImages, FlatPaks, Snaps, etc. published by KDE must be licensed
under an Open Source license.".

Regards,
Ingo