Gitlab update, 2FA now mandatory

Christoph Cullmann (cullmann.io) christoph at cullmann.io
Mon Oct 24 11:04:54 BST 2022

On 2022-10-24 11:23, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Montag, 24. Oktober 2022 09:19:49 CEST Christoph Cullmann
> (cullmann.io)
> wrote:
>> I think it is rather worse that now first time contributors have this
>> requirement.
>
> Do you have proof for this, e.g. a study, or is this just your
> Bauchgefühl
> (gut feeling)?

I can not proof this.

I only know that even for myself this makes it a lot more work to login,
if I don't start to setup an application for that on my tablet and main
machine
and work machine, too.

But I see the point that it makes sense for accounts with elevated
rights.

> There is plenty of proof (e.g. TBs of leaked password databases) that
> lots of
> people use insecure passwords and that lots of people reuse the same
> "secure"
> password everywhere. 2FA protects those ignorant people. If the 2FA-
> requirement on invent helps to make more people aware of 2FA, then
> that's a
> good side-effect.
>
> Besides, my hope is that with FIDO2 "soon" passwords will be a relic of
> the
> past.

That is a nice dream, but IMHO very unlikely in the near future.

Greetings
Christoph

--
Ignorance is bliss...