Gitlab update, 2FA now mandatory

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Oct 24 00:35:49 BST 2022

On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 12:16 PM Jack <ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net>
wrote:

> On 2022.10.23 02:32, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > This afternoon I updated invent.kde.org to the latest version of
> > Gitlab,
> > 15.5.
> > Release notes for this can be found at
> > https://about.gitlab.com/releases/2022/10/22/gitlab-15-5-released/
> >
> > There isn't much notable feature wise in this release, however there
> > have
> > been some bug fixes surrounding the "Rebase without Pipeline"
> > functionality that was introduced in an earlier update.
> >
> > As part of securing Invent against recently detected suspicious
> > activity I
> > have also enabled Mandatory 2FA, which Gitlab will ask you to
> > configure
> > next time you access it. This can be done using either a Webauthn
> > token
> > (such as a Yubikey) or TOTP (using the app of choice on your phone)
> >
> > Should you lose access to your 2FA device you can obtain a recovery
> > token
> > to log back in via SSH, see
> >
> https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/profile/account/two_factor_authentication.html#generate-new-recovery-codes-using-ssh
> > for more details on this.
> >
> > Please let us know if there are any queries on the above.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ben
> Sorry to be dense, but without a webauthn token device, it seems I'm at
> a total block if I don't have a phone (or don't have it with me.)  Is
> that correct, or is there some fine manual I need to read?

This will depend on whether it is a one-off situation or not.

If it is a one-off situation, you can use one of your recovery codes (and
if needed, obtain a fresh set of those via SSH as documented above) to
login to Gitlab.
If it is something that will happen on a more regular basis then setting up
the TOTP application on a device you have regular access to (or obtaining a
Webauthn token) would be recommended.

> Thanks.
>
> Jack

Thanks,