The status of freenode (the IRC network used by KDE)

Andrius Štikonas stikonas at kde.org
Tue Jun 15 14:50:51 BST 2021

2021 m. birželio 15 d., antradienis 14:25:11 BST Kenny Duffus rašė:
> Hi
>
> We had been trying to have a nice orderly migration from freenode but that wasn't to be despite all our work as freenode imploded earlier today
>
> The main problem for our migration was that the majority of our matrix bridged rooms are "portals" which aren't really meant to ever move
>
> Element Matrix Services support are working with us to convert the portal rooms to plumbed rooms which we can then migrate
>
> Existing plumbed rooms can skip this stage and be unlinked from freenode and using the integration manager add an irc bridge  to libera to them instead
>
> If you are in a kde matrix room that i'm not please invite me there so that i definitely know of its existance,  I'm @kenny:kde.org
>
> For people using IRC directly life should be simpler, you can just disconect from freenode if you haven't and then join the corresponding rooms on Libera https://libera.chat/guides/connect
>
> The vast majority of IRC rooms have been created and registered, if you find any that aren't please let me know (seaLne)
>
> Thanks

Hi,

Given the imposion today, can we not just close old matrix rooms with m.room.tombstone and point them to new rooms linked to Libera?
In the short term that might be a bit disruptive because matrix users will have to switch to new rooms. But it we
keep waiting too long we might end up in a bigger mess. And at least IRC users showed that they are capable of
switching servers, so maybe we shouldn't assume that matrix users are less capable.

Personally, KDE rooms are the only ones I still have to use on Freenode.

Andrius