The status of freenode (the IRC network used by KDE)

Piyush Aggarwal piyushaggarwal002 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 09:45:03 BST 2021

Hey there, everyone

On Wed, 19 May, 2021, 2:08 pm Halla Rempt, <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 19 May 2021 10:34:26 CEST Christian wrote:
> >
> > During the last few weeks, freenode was a bit in troubled waters due to
> what
> > was perceived as a potential serious threat of a takeover of  the
> network
> > Due to that, a good amount of us who have been building and running
> freenode
> > for the past decades prepared their resignation letters.
> > Some of these got leaked a few days and made it to the hackernews
> frontpage
> > and various other sites. The leaks included a personal draft of a
> resignation
> > letter.

Thank you for taking the big step, Christian.

> We've been discussing this in the Krita community as well. We're still
> IRC-centric -- matrix doesn't work as well for us. Is there a different
> network we should migrate to?

Christian mentioned a new network in the resignation letter  The excerpt is
mentioned below: -

Where will we be going from here?

We are founding a new network with the same goals and ambitions: libera.chat.
It is backed by a swedish non-profit which lets us hold the name,
domain and various other assets to avoid a hostile corporate takeover.
It allows us to continue to operate the network  as unpaid, neutral volunteers.
It allows us to ensure that your personal data does not end up as an
asset to some company that could consider monetizing it.

You can connect to the new network at `irc.libera.chat`,
ssl port 6697 (and the usual clearnet port.

Best

Piyush Aggarwal